- TRANSITION: DARKNESS TO LIGHT
- Organ Accompaniment
- Ranges: S1: E5-E5 S2: D#5-E5 A1: A4-D5; A2:F#4-D5
- Total duration: ca 1:40-2:40
- Written in 2010
- One movement work. 4 pages, 8.5 X 11”
- Premiered in September, 2011 in Massapequa, New York by Long Island Voices and Orchestra
- Wholesale Pricing: $2.61Most Retail, PDF, and Large Orders Qualify for Discount
“Lux Aeterna” for women’s voices and organ was composed in 2010 as an integral part of my Dies Magna Requiem (Day of Great Magnitude), a work commemorating the tragic loss of so many of our first responders in New York City on 9/11.
A brief song with a very modern sound, “Lux Aeterna” is both ethereal and wrenching. Its setting is the aftermath of the collapse of the Twin Towers as the dust settles and it becomes clear that many, many people have died. I imagined the weeping of heavenly angels as the sound of the alarms of oxygen tanks buried beneath the rubble slowly fade away.
The sostenuto saturation of high-pitched voices gliding down to silence calls to mind this very palpable moment within the 9/11 story.