Angela – a fictional character in Alexandra Diaz’ “The Only Road”. Angela and her cousin, Jaime, are soon to be “recruited” into the local terrorist gang, The Alphas. After Angela’s brother, Miguel, and Jamie refuse to join, Angela and Jamie flee Guatemela to save their own lives, in what will be a harrowing journey. Angela is an example of a young girl who becomes a heroine through this journey, by thinking quickly and protecting everyone around her in any way she can, including the severely injured dog she saves, Vida.
- Discovering stories of real life refugees – using the first name of the discovered refugee in the “free name” part of the song.
- Writing a fictional story about a refugee, based on stories discovered.
- Discovering the songs and musical culture of the oppressed family, their community and their culture
- With permission, submitting a photograph of a refugee, a host family with a refugee guest, or a refugee with the child who is singing the concert for the YouTube video to be created about the project. (There may be more than one video).
- Bringing in a guest speaker, a former refugee or a host family.
- For older students, researching the causes and struggles of refugees
- For older students, discovering the helpers. Looking to the helpers. Who are the people who are coming up with solutions for refugee communities.